Available in DVD format only.
Join Martin as he introduces you to his philosophy of starting colts while he takes several colts and one young stallion through their first day of riding.
Topics covered in this video include:
• Martin’s five basic principles of horsemanship
• A horse’s need for self-preservation
• Finding and using the center of gravity
• Seeking relief vs. yielding from pressure
• Creating a crisis to gain confidence
• Working with an aggressive stallion
• Also, halter preparation, catching, saddle preparation, flag work, saddling, bridling, preparing to mount, first ride, transitions, and much more.
This DVD is approximately 1 hour 45 minutes long and includes biographical information and many incredible still shots of Martin as well.
Adrian Vigil (verified owner) –
Great video with a good amount of solid information on starting colts right. I think there’s something in this video for everyone, no matter if you’ve just started off or if you’ve been riding colts your whole life.
Paul Sherland –
This is an excellent video from a master horseman. One of the most memorable parts of the video demonstrates the impact of repeated exercises — even after your horse has performed the exercise and “gets it”. Martin does an exercise with the spectators to make his point, and it’s so effective that I remember it years after watching the video for the first time. Which is good because it’s a situation we all face in working with our horses. I recommend this video!
mmccave.wmr (verified owner) –
This was a excellent viedo showing techniques for colt starting. I highly recommend getting this to learn some great principles if you are new to colt starting or pick up a technique even if you have started colts before. There is something in this viedo for everyone.